Download all Joomla templates including quickstart (demo)only $24.99

Forum

Important - Hands Up!

- Please ask using the account with which you made the purchase or download of our products and in its respective category.
- If you bought our products in another market, ask your questions in that market, not here.

* ADD PRODUCT NAME IN START OF SUBJET

Tienda Virtuemart child products not shown

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 3 months 2 days ago #1
Hello dear Leoalv,

When creating child products with stock, the template only shows the parent (out of stock, all children have stock).
How does the template work so it shows the child products?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 3 months 1 day ago #2
Hello.
The child products are assumed to be the same product, just with some differences such as size, color, weight or price, which is why they are not shown individually (at least not by default). To access the child products you must add the custom field Generic Child Variant in the parent product, this will add a list with the child products that the customer can access and purchase.
Regards

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 3 months 18 hours ago #3
Hello Leoalv,
Yes that works in the product details screen.
In the category screen I keep the "notify me" instead of "choose options" or whatever it is supposed to say.
The parent is configured as not orderable (0 stock), the child have the stock listed.
What needs to happen to have the category screen show the options, or let the user go in to the details screen instead of "notify me".
I am including two screenshots as attachement.
Thank you so much for your assistance!
Attachments:

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 3 months 10 hours ago #4
Hi there.
If you have configured Virtuemart so that the parent product is not orderable, then put a very high stock on the parent product, this will allow the buyer to go to the detail page and choose a child product.
Regards

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 2 months 4 weeks ago #5
Hello Leoalv,
OK I have done that. It gives "add to cart" on the category screen, while the parent is not orderable, no selection of child products. When I go in the product details page it shows OK.  I put two screenshots of the custom field configuration and parent product. The parent product has no price, the child products have prices attached to them.
Attachments:

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 2 months 3 weeks ago #6
Ok, if this configuration works as you expected, then it's fine.

regards

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 2 months 3 weeks ago #7
Ok. I have done some fruther research as to what is going wrong.

category view: when the virtuemart setting "Show call for price, when the price is empty" is disabled, it shows add to cart on the non-orderable parent product. This works normally (just click-through) when the setting is enabled.

product details view: when "Show call for price, when the price is empty" is disabled, two "choose a variant" are shown. Could one (the ugly one) be removed? In case I would leave the setting enabled (like the default in the quick start example) then it shows "call for price" on the non-orderable parent product, which is an error / confusing for customers.

I put two screenshots to show it.

Thanks for your attention.
Attachments:

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 2 months 3 weeks ago #8
The first thing is to rule out the issue of price, why publish a product without a price? The parent product has to have a price, even if its child products (variants) have a different price. This gives you a new possibility so when you want to sell the parent product you simply activate show Parent as an option, then when the customer enters the product page they already have a selected variant, this is how all marketplaces work, you can do it on Aliexpress or others already have a variant selected.

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 2 months 3 weeks ago #9
Hi. So, when I put the price in the parent product, I can add the parent product to the cart from the category view, because it displays add to cart. When this is for a ring, sizes 1-10, it adds the non-oderable parent to the cart without specification of which size.

• E
  • etrader Junior Member
  • Topic Author 2 months 3 weeks ago #10
Hi,
OK I got it working the way I want to. "Show call for price, when the price is empty" I leave enabled as per your default and I put a CSS customization to hide "call for price". Also no duplicate "select variant" being shown then.

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 2 months 3 weeks ago #11
Very good! Using a CSS customization is a very effective solution.