Download all Joomla templates including quickstart (demo)only $24.99

Forum

Important - Hands Up!

- Please ask using the account with which you made the purchase or download of our products and in its respective category.
- If you bought our products in another market, ask your questions in that market, not here.

* ADD PRODUCT NAME IN START OF SUBJET

Ufolio - creating galleries with SP Easy Image Gallery using existing images

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 6 months ago #1
Hello again: I'm back to getting ready to update to Joomla 4 and applying the Ufolio template. I realized I needed to recreate the image galleries I have because the plugin I used (years ago) is probably not compatible and is not being supported anymore anyway. I have thousands of images in hundreds of galleries. I wonder if there is a way to use the images that are already in my images directory to recreate the galleries using SP Easy Image Gallery.

I see how I can just drag and drop them from my computer. Well they aren't on my computer in any order anymore. So I think I can just download all the images back to my computer from my current galleries through ftp and then I'll have the named folders organized and the correct images to drag and drop into the new galleries.

Before I do that, I thought I'd ask if there is a better way to gather the images that are already living on the server. I just don't see how myself.

Thank you,

Carol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 6 months ago #2
Hi there Carol.
First I think you should find out if your current image gallery component is available for J4; if it is available maybe you just have to update.

If your current component is not available for J4, the process you have described for SP Easy Image Gallery is correct, because the moment you upload the image the component creates thumbnails of different sizes for each image, it also creates titles, descriptions, etc. I think that should be done as you describe.

NOTE: If your current gallery is indexed in Google remember to keep the names of the albums and above all the same url, if they are different you can use the redirect component or .htaccess to make a permanent redirect and notify google.

Regards

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 6 months ago #3
Thank you so much for your response. I understand, and I'm glad it meshes with my thinking. Lots of work ahead for me.

I know there is not a version of the gallery component that is compatible with J4. It was developed by the original JoomlaBamboo developer/designer, Anthony (last name I can't remember at the moment). He had many beautiful template designs and I used three of them in updating my site in the past. I think he was way ahead of his/Joomla's time. He sold out to JoomlArt and they stopped supporting the extensions and couldn't seem to help me with any template problems for the past four (or five?) years which has instigated my current overwhelming challenge to switch templates, components and upgrade to J4.

Also thank you for the reminder to keep all the names the same. Most of them are controlled as modules within articles with "loadposition" placements that I made up. That will complicate things and create an extra step or two, but at least I think I can use the SP EasyGallery plugin in my current live site and make sure it works before I upgrade to J4 and the new template.

Still have a couple of days of holiday left before starting on this in the new year.

Thank you again and Happy New Year,

Carol