Download all Joomla templates including quickstart (demo)only $24.99

Forum

Important - Hands Up!

- Please ask using the account with which you made the purchase or download of our products and in its respective category.
- If you bought our products in another market, ask your questions in that market, not here.

* ADD PRODUCT NAME IN START OF SUBJET

Camera - Where and how do I see and select items for prebuilt template?

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #1
I have read the documentation for Camera over and over and I just don't get it. I have uploaded and selected the Camera template as the default, I have renamed it with a _PHOTOGRAPHY 1 at the end, I have used it with default at the end. I am still on Joomla 3 and the docs show how to do things with Jooomla 4. I have have many years of articles and image galleries and modules that I want to keep on the site, but I'm glad to recreate them if I knew how, but the docs say everything should be there to use the prebuilt site, such as PHOTOGRAPHY 1.

As I understand it from being a Joomla user for 10 years the only time you can install the quick start package is on a blank site with a new installation of Joomla. I did not do that, but the docs say to reconfigure it is easy. It might be easy, but I do not see it.

When I view the module positions and look in the backend at the template sales, I see some of the old module positions have kept their positions. I don't mind changing things, but I just don't see how.

I'm using StageIt to wrangle the site into shape in order to get it ready to migrate to Joomla 4 but it is such a mess now that I don't dare go any farther and I can't give you access to the site because it needs the StageIt plugin
This message contains confidential information
I don't even know if you can see it like I can. And if you can't, how can I get help. Oh woe.

Thanks for any advice,

Carol Jones

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 7 months ago #2
Hello first let's keep calm:

I have accessed your site and I really see a disaster, I don't know if you modified the template code or components, because the disaster is caused by an error in the DOM since you start with DIV when it should start with HTML, it has 2 HEAD tags, BODY when the tag is already open, many PARAGRAP (tag P) that are closed after other tags, is what I have seen in the source code of your site, I don't know if this comes from an edition of template files that you have done or from your articles and modules. to see it you can use Firefox and Ctrl/CMD + U, the errors are outlined in red.
When the tags do not close or are closed incorrectly, it is that all the content is nested, leaving a mess.

Want to install just the template on your existing site?

The demos are installed only with the installation of the quickstart package, If you want to replicate this on an existing site you have 2 ways:
1. Install quickstar and import your existing content to the new site.
2. On your existing site install the template, components, modules, plugins, etc (everything you are going to use), then install the quickstart package locally, to see how it is done and replicate it on your site.
I recommend the second option, Page builder homepages can be exported and then imported into your development site (explanations in the documentation)

To continue informing you I must know what you want to do.

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #3
Thank you for your speedy reply. I am somewhat calm about it all. I finally realized how I have to remake all the SP easy (haha) galleries from what I have now, and I feel better about that. I knew it was easy but was so bent out of shape about the layout confusion that I couldn't figure everything out at once. It will probably only take a few days.

First of all, I didn't modify the template code or anything myself or on purpose, however, that template (on my live site at mainefiberarts.org) has been broken in some way for a few years, ever since Joomla Bamboo was taken over by Joomlart who couldn't fix the template. Any time I tried to make changes the whole site went down front and back, and I had to roll back the entire site to an earlier day to get it back. I thought it was time to get a new template and migrate at the same time. So I started this process by creating a staging site to test it on and getting your Camera template (even though I'd like to use the other one, Ufolio).

I have already installed the Camera template components modules plugins and everything on my staging site (my live site is still working as well as it has been).The duplicate business and the mess you see must be caused by the "StageIt" component that creates a copy of the real site in a folder and lets you fiddle with that and gradually update the live site. You can see the live site if you take off the "/stageit" at the end of the link. It looks fine but it is not.

My real goal is to be able to migrate/update to Joomla 4 anyway. I thought it would be easier to install a working template on the current site that is compatible with 3 and 4, so that once everything was working on Jooomla 3 I could zoom right into Joomla 4. I first tried the migration on my staging site but it was, oh, so awful I went back to the original site and erased the StageIt version altogether, then created another one I've been fiddling with.

It makes me very nervous using that "StageIt" plugin/component/whatever it is, because you are right, it has created a monster mess for me to figure out, partly because there is so much of the older template still taking over, all my categories and articles and modules that I don't even use anymore and thousands of images all want to stay where they are and use the old module positions and the old plugins that made the modules (or modules that made the plugins work).

I have considered starting over with a fresh site with the prebuilt template installed and importing the content I want into the new site, just to get rid of so much of the historical stuff that I don't need, but I'm worried about starting over with the "HotSpots" map component I need to use because it is so intricate and it depends on K2 which is not, to my knowledge, going to work on Jooma 4, even though the Hotspots is Joomla 4 compatible. And I don't really understand how hard or easy it will be to get the database stuff over to the new site.

I guess my question is, given that whatever I do is going to be very involved and tedious, if I'm going to start over, shouldn't I start over with Joomla 4 with a QuickStart package of the J4 template I want? And if I do that, can I still export/import files and data from the Joomla 3 site? In other words, which is easier, exporting then importing pages from a QuickStart blank-ish site into a huge mess (like I have now), or exporting then importing data into a fresh site that has the changes to layout etc. already made?

Thinking,

Carol

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 7 months ago #4
The answer to your question is it depends, yes it depends on what you care to keep and what you want to get rid of (I don't know which extensions you have installed and which ones have customizations in your current template), for example the URLs are important, the structure of categories, permissions, etc etc, depends on which component is most of your content.

In any of the 2 scenarios (import to the existing one or import to the new one) you have to take into account that before importing you must have installed the extensions from which your content comes.

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: carol

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #5
OK. I just installed the quick start package on a new subdomain I created, and after many trials to fine the correct user and password for the database I created, I soon realized that unbeknownst to me, it was installing the Joomla 4 version. I went ahead and continued the installation just to see what it looked like and got to the last page where it says my site is ready and I clicked open admin and got the red page of horrors, went back and clicked open site and also got the error.

Here's a question for you now. I've looked at one way to resolve the error but I'll have to create an FTP view into the files and it will take a while. So I might as well delete the whole subdomain and start over. A day's work. So how do I make sure that the QuickStart package for Camera template will installl a Joomla 3 version? Is this possible?

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #6
OK, never mind about the terrible error. I found a YouTube that said to delete a file from the admin cache which I did and apparently it succeeded and I see the site, at least the backend so far. It's all there. Now I will try to make sense of it and/or reinterpret it for my site. Thank you for sticking with me.

Carol

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 7 months ago #7
Good thing you solved the namespace propagation problem.

Until the previous version you could install Joomla 3.x quickstart, we have removed it because Joomla 3.x will die soon. If you start with Joomal 3.x you will have to migrate to Joomla 4 after recreating your site and this will again leave you with problems to solve.

Since you have decided to start with the Quickstart and import the content of your existing site to the new one, my recommendation is to start with Joomla 4, install Akeeba Backup so that you make backup copies before each data import, in case it goes wrong to start right from the start. previous point and not from the beginning. I also recommend before importing data from the database of your existing site, it must be migrated to Joomla 4 because in the migration changes are made in the database structures, even many data are moved to new columns, for that reason. reason you must have both sites (new and existing) in Joomla 4.

Be sure to recreate the Aliases of your menus well, so that it does not affect your indexing with Google.

Important: It is better to import only data from the old site instead of database table structures, import with table structure only from extensions that do not exist on the new site.

regards

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #8
Well, I have to make one more comment. First, thank you for reminding me to keep my url's and menus the same. Thank you also for explaining why I have a Joomla 4 "demo" site now when I thought I was getting Joomla 3.

I had not decided to start with the QuickStart at all, I was just going to refer to the QuickStart site back and forth so I could recreate it in my staging site. I was only planning to use the Camera template on the J3 site because that was what I thought I had to work with, but the template I really want to use is the UFolio template which I thought I would switch to once I had the j3 version of the site organized with the Camera template which would make the migration easier. But no matter what I thought and think, I see it all boils down to how and when I use Joomla 4.

Since I have to migrate my site that I thought was unmigrateable to a J4 version of my current/existing site now, or fumble around trying to create a J3 version of the Camera template on my current site, why not migrate the current site to J4 and then apply the Ufolio template to that. Which would/will mean erasing the new Joomla4 website I just set up and starting over with the Ufolio QuickStart instead.

So I think that's what I am going to do, but the biggest holdup to that is the K2 plugin which my map component depends on which I have to somehow come up with a fix for that before any migrating. I've written to the developer and have combed the YouTube tutorials for an answer to that, most of which is 8 or 9 years old and lots of work getting the data out of the MySQL tables which I am incompetent to do.

Just keeping your informed at this point. I'm going to spend the day on it -- starting in a couple of hours.

Carol

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 7 months ago #9
If I were in your place I would do the following:
1. I would make a copy of the site live
2. I install the copy of the live site on localhost
3. I install the Quikstart of the template with which I want to finish my new site (according to your words Ufolio)
4. I update all the extensions that I will keep from the old site to its latest version
5. I uninstall all the extensions that I am not going to use or that do not have a version for Joomla 4 including the template of the old site.
6. I migrate the old site to Joomla 4, It doesn't matter what it looks like.
7. I install all the new extensions that I am going to use from the Ufolio template.
8. I start to structure the content of the old site in Ufolio, if I am missing module positions I would create them in Helix >> Layout builder.
9. I start to import content that I am going to use from the Ufolio quisktar, for example home pages from SP Page builder, these are exported and imported in one click,
10. Copy configurations of modules and menus from Ufolio
11. I would start recreating content from uninstalled extensions using new extensions available for Joomla 4.
12. Testing and release.

Remember to make backup copies before each process.

Regards

• C
  • carol New Member
  • Topic Author 1 year 7 months ago #10
Thank you!!! This is great! I"m going to make it into a poster. (just kidding)

I just have two questions/comments for clarification:

Points #1 and #2
I instal the copy of the live site into yet another subdomain, or I just use a folder inside the current site for the copy that I'll be working on? Does it matter whether a folder or a subdomain? I hope you don't mean I should host the site on my local computer using MAMP or something like that.

Point #3
I'm installing the new Ufolio QuickStart into a new subdomain of the same site (after I delete the subdomain I just made with the Camera quickstart and the database that went with it).

Does this sound right? I think I can do all this.

Carol

• L
  • leoalv Moderator
  • 1 year 7 months ago #11
You can do it on localhost or on your hosting as it is more comfortable for you, what is important is that the quisktart and the existing site must be separated, either by folders or by subdomains.

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: carol